Lost my Social Security Card

You’ve lost your Social Security Card, what do I do? First of all, don’t panic. They’re lot’s of protections now that will alert you if your number is being used. But the most important thing to do is REPORT IT! Any time you lose sensitive personal information such as your Social Security card, it is a good idea to request an initial security alert be added to your credit report. An initial security alert is free and remains on your report for 90 days. It lets creditors know that you may be a victim of identity theft so someone could be trying to apply fraudulently for credit in your name.

The easiest way to request a security alert is by going online, although you can also request the alert by phone or by mail. To add an alert via the Internet, visit Experian’s online Fraud Center and select “Add an initial security alert.” Simply complete the form and submit it through the secure Web link. To add an alert by phone call 1 888 EXPERIAN (1 888 397 3742) and select the fraud option. Follow the voice instructions to add an alert and request a report.  After you have reported it for credit reasons, now report it to the Social Security Administration

Contact the Social Security Administration

Contact the Social Security Administration to let them know the card was lost and to request a new one. For more information, please visit the Social Security Administration’s site.

How do I replace it?

It is free to replace your social security card if it has been lost or stolen. You are limited to 3 replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

In order to get a replacement social security card you will need to provide documentation that proves you are a US citizen and your identity. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The social security office will not accept photocopies, notarized copies of documents or receipts showing you applied for the document. Social Security may use one document for two purposes, such as using your US passport as proof of both citizenship and identity.


Once you have the necessary documents the next step would be to print out the social security card application and fill it out. Once you fill it out and print it you need to then either take it to your local social security office or mail it to the office. Click here for the application form. If you have questions or issues about replacing your Social Security card then you need to contact your local administration office.

For more questions regarding your Social Security Benefits, or want to learn Social Security Basics? Contact Faye Sykes and learn how you can maximize your benefits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *